Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Georgetown Cupcake Phenomenon



Nestled away in the northwest corner of Washington, DC, in the heart of Georgetown's M Street shopping mecca, lies a cupcake sanctuary: Georgetown Cupcake. To the naked eye, the building seems like nothing more than a simple bakery, frequented by soccer moms and their children on the hunt for a sugar high. However, Georgetown Cupcake has quickly become a tourist destination in the DC area.

That's because this seemingly simple bakery is actually the setting for the TLC reality series DC Cupcake.

Sisters Katherine Kallinis Berman and Sophie Kallinis LaMontagne are the co-founders of Georgetown Cupcake and stars of the hit series.

Gaining nationwide popularity and notoriety via reality television, the sisters have since opened up four additional shops in Boston, NYC, L.A. and Bethesda, MD.

Naturally I was skeptical. Are these cupcakes really THAT good?

One weekend I ventured up to Georgetown to taste these supposedly delicious cupcakes. The line wasn't unbearable, and we only had to wait for about 15 minutes.

Typical weekend lines outside Georgetown Cupcake in DC
Then I stepped through the door.

The minute I entered the bakery, a thousand magnificent aromas filled my nostrils. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry - you name it. I was already salivating. I wanted every cupcake in sight.



Georgetown Cupcake offers eighteen flavors daily, including multiple varieties of chocolate, vanilla, and red velvet that available each day, three seasonal flavors, and several other rotating flavors.

I settled on the Peanut Butter Fudge cupcake because it seemed like the closest cousin of a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup - the best candy.

More addicting than crack.
Ladies and gentlemen, the cupcakes are THAT GOOD. I wolfed it down in .5 seconds. Check it out if you're ever in the DC metro area or order online. I hear they make great gifts.






No comments:

Post a Comment